Interviews & In the News
* Press Kit
LaDonna Garner, M.A. is a Historic Consultant — Professional Genealogist & Historic Preservationist— focused on historical preservation and genealogical research in and outside Southeast Missouri. She often lectures on both subjects at conferences, society events, and colleges. She also offers in-person/online courses and one-on-one consultations. Garner is an active member of the Association of Professional Genealogists and assists numerous organizations in volunteer and leadership capacities.
Researching her family history for over 30 years, she is passionate about recording historic minority communities and cemeteries, genealogy education, client assistance, and consultations in archival documents, protecting our history and natural landscapes through historic preservation, and cemetery restoration. She is also a Licensed Veterinary Technician with a devotion to heritage animals.
Her ventures in cemetery preservation were inspired by an interest in family lineage and Founder & first Secretary of the Mt. Zion Cemetery Board to preserve Mount Zion Cemetery in Festus, Missouri. The cemetery was established by African American settlers, including her ancestors, in circa 1880s, and closed in circa 1973.
Curriculum Vitae (CV) available upon request.
- Associate of Science in Veterinary Technology, Jefferson College, Hillsboro, Mo. (1994)
- Associate of Arts, Jefferson College, Hillsboro, Mo. (2008)
- Bachelor of Science in Historic Preservation, Southeast Missouri State Univ., Cape Girardeau, Mo. (2010)
- Master of Arts in Historic Preservation at Goucher College, Towson, Md. (2014)
Genealogical Education, Certificates & Credentials
- National Genealogical Society American Genealogy Home Study Course (2005)
- Institute of Genealogical and Historical Research (2006, 2007, 2008)
- National Institute of Genealogy Research (2009)
- Certified GenealogistSM, Board of Certification for Genealogists® (2006 – 2016)
- Numerous ongoing classes, conferences, webinars, and workshops to the present.
Select Memberships & Associations (Current & Former)
Afro-American Genealogy and Historical Society of Chicago (AAGHSC)
Association of African Ancestored Researchers – St. Louis (AAARSTL)
Association of Professional Genealogists (APG)
Association of Gravestone Studies (AGS)
Jefferson County Genealogical Society, MO (JCGS)
Missouri State Genealogical Society (MoSGA)
National Genealogical Society (NGS)
National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP)
St. Louis Genealogical Society (STLGS)
— African American Special Interest Group Chair (AA-SIG) – (no longer active)
Association of African Ancestored Researchers – St. Louis