LaDonna Garner, M.A., R.V.T. is a consultant focused on historical preservation and genealogical research in and outside Southeast Missouri. She lectures often on both subjects at conferences and as an instructor for the Continued Education Program at St. Louis Community College. Garner is an active member of the Association of Professional Genealogist’s on the Board of Directors, volunteers for the National Genealogical Society, and numerous organizations in various capacities. She is also a Licensed Veterinary Technician with a devotion to heritage animals.
Researching her family history for over 30 years, she is passionate about recording historic minority communities and cemeteries, genealogy education, client assistance, and consultations in archival documents, protecting our history and natural landscapes through historic preservation, and cemetery restoration.
Her ventures in cemetery preservation were inspired by an interest in family lineage and role as Founder & first Secretary of the Mt. Zion Cemetery Board to preserve Mount Zion Cemetery in Festus, Missouri. The cemetery was established by African American settlers, including her ancestors, in circa 1880s, and closed in circa 1973.
- Associate of Science in Veterinary Technology, Jefferson College, Hillsboro, Mo. (1994)
- Associate of Arts, Jefferson College, Hillsboro, Mo. (2008)
- Bachelor of Science in Historic Preservation, Southeast Missouri State Univ., Cape Girardeau, Mo. (2010)
- Master of Arts in Historic Preservation at Goucher College, Towson, Md. (2014)
Genealogical Education, Certificates & Credentials
- National Genealogical Society American Genealogy Home Study Course (2005)
- Institute of Genealogical and Historical Research (2006, 2007, 2008)
- National Institute of Genealogy Research (2009)
- Certified GenealogistSM, Board of Certification for Genealogists®(2006-16, retired)
- Numerous ongoing classes, conferences, webinars, and workshops.
Select Memberships & Associations (Current & Former)
Afro-American Genealogy and Historical Society of Chicago (AAGHSC)
Association of African Ancestored Researchers – St. Louis (AAARSTL)
Association of Professional Genealogists (APG)
Association of Gravestone Studies (AGS)
Jefferson County Genealogical Society, MO (JCGS)
Missouri State Genealogical Society (MoSGA)
National Genealogical Society (NGS)
National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP)
St. Louis Genealogical Society (STLGS)
— African American Special Interest Group Chair (AA-SIG) – currently inactive please visit Association of African Ancestored Researchers – St. Louis